Positive Movement is based upon a form of Yoga (called “Adaptive Yoga”) developed in America especially for people whose disability prevent them from experiencing the benefits which can be derived from traditional Yoga postures.
Participants, in small groups of about 10 people, learn techniques for improving and maintaining strength, flexibility, balance and co-ordination (thus helping to prevent falls) and have an opportunity, immediately following the structured class session, to meet new people and socialise over a cup of tea with their peers.
The programme, a specially-designed gentle, fun activity (followed by social time) can benefit:
- older people
- anyone with mobility problems
- the frail and those at risk of falls
- people living with long-term conditions
Some of the benefits from participating in Positive Movement are:
• Feelings of social isolation and loneliness are reduced by encouraging participation, getting people out of their home and helping them to remain connected with their community or to make new friends
• General health, wellbeing and fitness improve: Positive Movement increases physical activity levels and helps participants to maintain balance, flexibility and co-ordination (all vital in order to avoid falls)
• Quality of life is improved as participants learn new coping mechanisms to help manage their pain, anxiety and benefit from enhanced psychological wellbeing
• Individual resilience is boosted: participants report being capable to doing more for themselves and therefore are likely to remain independent for longer
• Participants are empowered to manage their health and wellbeing better and more safely, decrease their reliance on medication and in turn this helps to ease the pressure on our health and social care services
The cost is £3 per session which includes a hot drink and biscuits; the programmes will run for 20 weeks in
|Bishops Stortford||Hemel Hempstead||Stevenage|
|Cheshunt||Potters Bar||Welwyn Garden City|
Anyone interested in participating should ring 01462 678804 or email email@example.com.