Let’s Chat is a telephone service, which provides regular calls and a friendly chat to people who feel isolated. Our volunteers make regular telephone calls to clients who are experiencing loneliness and isolation, to offer a bridge into outside world.
Conversations are not structured and offer support through shared conversations over the phone. Our clients have gotten to know our volunteers over time; they have gained friendships and feel comfortable and at ease.
In 2020 at the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, a lot of people found they had to shield due to underline health condition. This saw a rise in the demand for the service and more volunteers came on board to help in the community.
All of our volunteers have been DBS checked and regularly keep up to date with local services offering assistance in various areas.
Who will be offered this service?
People who are isolated as a result of:
- Being housebound
- Mental illness
- Physical illness/disability
- Geography – living away from family
How can Let’s Chat help its clients?
The callers can be helped by:
- Providing regular friendly chats
- Helping the client to feel connected
- Listening in a non judgmental way
- Sharing News with someone who cares
- Helping the client feel less isolated and alone
- Giving encouragement
- Passing on information on social groups, agencies that may be able to assist them e.g. social services, Age UK, HAD etc.
- Discussing resources
- Referring clients on to other agencies (with the clients permission)
- Giving the caller something to look forward to in the forthcoming week.
To find out more or to access the service, call our office on T: 01707 274 661. We have a fabulous team of volunteers with listening ears and ready to have conversations with you.
We are alway looking for volunteers and would love to here from you if you have some hours spare during the week, please fill in our registration form and return to E: firstname.lastname@example.org