I hear you would like to volunteer?
Volunteering is simple! It’s about giving your valuable time, commitment and skills to help your local community or through a cause you feel passionate about without profitable gain. (apart from expenses). Volunteering can be a great way to meet new people, learn new skills, and gain useful experience; it should also be fun!
There are many opportunities!
Whatever skills and experience you have, there is something that you can do. We have a list of current opportunities in Welwyn Hatfield but you can also see what is available is on the Do-it database.
There are no age limits on volunteering but there can sometimes be difficulties for people under the age of 16, mostly for insurance reasons. If you have any concerns, ask the organisation that you are applying to.
The current legislation on volunteering whilst on benefits: https://www.ncvo.org.uk/ncvo-volunteering/volunteering-and-benefits
Whilst helping to improve life for others, you’ll get something out of the experience for yourself.
It’s worth thinking about why you want to volunteer before thinking about what you might do
Volunteer for lots of good reasons
- Gain useful experiences & new skills (good for the CV)
- Try out something new
- Build confidence & self esteem
- Take on new challenges
- Share your skills to help others
- Make more effective life & career plans
- Give something back to the community
- Do something that’s important to you
- Have fun
- Meet new people
For Volunteers we provide:
- A volunteering information service for people interested in volunteering – by personal visit, phone or email
- Information on local voluntary opportunities
- confidential discussions with no pressure to make on-the-spot decisions
- Signposting to Team Challenges for groups of people who would like a volunteering project
- Information on volunteer roles and responsibilities
- Fact sheet e.g. volunteering whilst on state benefits
- Special events e.g. Volunteer Speed Matching, celebration of Volunteers Week, Make a Difference Day
- Access to training for Volunteers
- Follow-up service
Individual Volunteer Form
If you want to talk generally about volunteering opportunities in your area, contact us at the Volunteer Centre Welwyn Hatfield, part of the WHCVS.
E: firstname.lastname@example.org or T: 01707 274861
If you are not in Welwyn Hatfield then you can find your local Volunteer Centres in Hertfordshire by clicking here.