Volunteering is simple. It’s about giving your time to do something useful without getting paid (apart from expenses).
In return, you get the satisfaction of time and effort well spent. In addition, volunteering can be a great way to: meet new people learn new skills gain useful experience. It should also be fun!
The range of opportunities is huge. Whatever skills and experience you have there is something that you can do. The best way to see what is available is to browse on the Do-it database. Use the quick search on the front page of the do-it site by clicking on the logo.
The biggest problem for many people is finding the time to volunteer. It can reduce your choices if you don’t have much time to spare but many busy people do find suitable opportunities. Again, have a look on the database and see what’s on offer.
There are no age limits on volunteering but there can sometimes be difficulties for people under 16 mostly for insurance reasons. If you have any concerns ask the organisation that you are applying to. If you want to talk generally about volunteering opportunities in your area then contact your local Volunteer Centre. You can contact us here at WHCVS via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone: 01707 274861. If you are not in Welwyn Hatfield then you can find your local Volunteer Centres; this is a website which provides a focus for everyone in Hertfordshire who has an interest in volunteering. Explore the site to find information for volunteers, organisations and businesses. Access the website by clicking here.
New video coming soon . . .
Once you start volunteering you should usually expect:
- reimbursement of travel expenses
- a clear idea of what your role will be
- appropriate training and support.
If you aren’t clear about anything please get in touch.
Full Membership benefits to the Volunteer Centre includes:
- Support with volunteer recruitment (we offer 1:1 advice sessions to help volunteers find suitable opportunities)
- Free advertising on http://www.do-it.org/
- Promotion of our Members through articles, displays and events
- 1:1 and group advice and support in governance volunteer management training
- Access to our Skills Share Scheme
- Assistance with volunteer management, such as the Six Point Promise:
- local and countywide networks and partnerships
- Regular information updates and info e-bulletins
- DBS Online checking
- Priority invitation to free networking events
- Specialised training and workshops at discounted rates
- Access to CVS equipment, audio-visual equipment hire, often at discounted rates
- Promotion of your events via our social networks
Valuing Volunteer Management 6 Point Promise
Our aim is to raise standards of volunteer management throughout Hertfordshire. Volunteer-involving organisations are encouraged to self assess their current policies, practices and procedures with a quick and easy to use checklist. http://www.volunteeringherts.org.uk/index.php/six-point-promise
VOLUNTEER CENTRES HERTFORDSHIRE are delighted to announce that NOMINATIONS ARE NOW OPEN FOR THEIR 2016 EXCELLENCE IN VOLUNTEER MANAGEMENT AWARDS
Now in its 8th Year, this award is very special as nominations can only be made by volunteers. The idea is to champion organisations who demonstrate quality in their volunteer management. To be eligible, organisations must demonstrate a basic level of good practice as demonstrated by achieving the Hertfordshire Valuing Volunteer Management 6 Point Promise – just contact us for more details about how you can sign up to this.
This year’s winner will receive our new trophy, complete with our new branding, to keep for a year to show how much they value their volunteers and how this appreciated by their team.
All nominees for the award will be invited to join us at the Hertfordshire Volunteer Centres Annual Volunteering Conference hosted by Beales Hotel Hatfield on 1st June as part of our Volunteers Week celebrations where the trophy will be presented by the High Sheriff of Hertfordshire.
Skills Share Herts
Skills Share Herts is a ground breaking project which uses the ivo social networking platform to link volunteers with professional skills to charities that need specific help for short term pieces of work. For businesses, Skills Share Herts offers opportunities for staff training and a means of developing, measuring and promoting CSR activities. For individuals, it can offer an opportunity to create a new career path, or to develop an existing one.
Through Skills Share Herts:
- Individuals with professional skills can offer their help for short term projects
- Organisations can register their need for specific professional skills
- Companies can register and record their employees CSR activities
Volunteers Week (1-7th June 2016) see News and Events